January 28, 2014

Unplugged

Social media can get a bad reputation.

It's not all bad though, there are good things about it too. It is way easier to keep in touch and update your loved ones on the important moments of your life.

On the other hand Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine, Snapchat, Pinterest, & Google+ [who even uses that?] can also be a huge distraction and temptation. It is a distraction from REAL LIFE. We are surrounded by real people and real conversations, and yet we stop to look at the latest tweets on our phones midsentence. It is a temptation to compare, to judge, to ridicule, to envy, to lust, to covet, to gossip, to brag, to idolize, and to ignore reality. We judge ridiculous status updates instead of having compassion, we idolize and covet everything on our Pinterest boards for our unrealistic dream homes, and we envy and compare ourselves to every girl on our Instagram feed who gets engaged.

I never thought I had many comparison issues, but lately I have not been as happy as I used to be. I have an incredible family, amazingly loyal friends, a roof over my head, a job [that I may not love everyday, but it pays my bills and allows me to use my gifts]. I am so blessed. Why should I be unhappy? Part of it is that I want, want, want. I want more stuff, I want more attention, and I want to look like everyone on my timeline and friend's list that has it all together [Public Service Announcement: No one has it all together].

I couldn't help but get a thrill whenever I had a post that got a high number of likes. I judged people based on what they put online, whether I knew them or not. I even checked my Instagram at stoplights and every time I used the bathroom. There was so much wrong with my attachment to social media.

Then 8 days ago I deleted Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram off my iPhone.


And the world went on spinning. In fact, it wasn't even as hard as I thought it would be. I would reach for my phone at times and then realize there was nothing on there to look at, which would free me up to embrace the moment that I was in. There are minor inconveniences, but overall I'm glad I did it. I didn't delete my accounts so I can post updates or stay in touch with friends from my iPad or computer. That way I still have the benefit of keeping in touch with friends and family easily, but I am not constantly attached to social media and the problems that it brings.

If you struggle with the same things as me I would encourage you to try the challenge. Give yourself a 40 day trial and just delete the apps. Keep track of how your attitude changes and what you are able to do with your time. Let me know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment