January 17, 2014

Books of 2014

[This post will be continually updated with each new book read]

1. The Husband's Secret
by Liane Moriarty


Overall I enjoyed this book. It reminded me a lot of last year's Gone Girl, but with more characters. The Husband's Secret told three separate stories about three families for most of the book that all came together in a plot twist toward the end. For me, the mark of an excellent "plot twist" book is that I don't see it coming, unfortunately I found this one a little too obvious. C+

2. Take One
by Karen Kingsbury
I've never been the Christian that only listens to Christian music and my favorite movies are not Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and others like that. That's just not me. For that reason, I've never even given Karen Kingsbury a chance despite my mother and sister's recommendations. While Take One is far from my favorite book, its not bad. The way Kingsbury uses scripture and the way the characters uplift is a good reminder to do those things in my own life. The story line is predicable and flat though, and it probably didn't help that I listened to it as an audiobook. C
3. Take Two
by Karen Kingsbury
Well I didn't hate it enough to quit reading, plus its easy listening while walking my dog or delivering notices at work. The second book got a bit tedious for me, and became increasingly predictable and unrealistic. I'm starting to doubt if I can stick with the series. D+
4. Bossy Pants
by Tina Fey
Loved this book! Two years ago one of my favorite books was Mindy Kaling's "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" and this one was close to being as funny. I listened to this by audiobook as well, which I highly recommend because Fey reads it herself. The book has charm, wit, and humor. Plus I enjoyed learning more about Fey and how she got to where she is now. I highly recommend this one. B+

5. Heads in Beds
By Jacob Tomsky



My major in school was Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism. This book was written by a long time employee and manager of a major (unnamed) hotel chain. It is an expose on the hotel industry that most people outside of my major and job probably wouldn't have much interest in, but I found it fascinating. If anything everyone can learn how to get a room upgrade, free movies, or never pay for another minibar item again. C+

6. The Fault in Our Stars
By John Green

This book was absolutely heart breaking and wonderful. Everyone one of my favorite books is sad, but if that's not the case for you then you may not be a fan. The story is about two unique teenagers brought together by cancer figuring out how to live without letting their disease define them. As a quote in the book says "Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book”  and that is how I feel about this book. A

7. The Truth About Forever
By: Sarah Dessen

8. The Moon & More
By Sarah Dessen

9. Eleanor & Park
By Rainbow Rowell


No comments:

Post a Comment